Curtin Volunteers! (CV!) works with numerous organisations to facilitate volunteering activities that benefit the wider community and enrich the student experience.
We are always eager to explore new opportunities and would love to hear from you if you have an initiative that could benefit from our support.
Each opportunity will be assessed individually and our ability to assist will depend on factors such as the availability of resources, timing, travel distances, safety considerations, appeal to students and whether there is a mutual benefit.
- We work predominantly with not-for-profit and government organisations; for-profit organisations that can prove community benefit will be considered.
- Volunteering opportunities can be ongoing or one-off.
- Most of our activities run during the University’s semesters (early March to late May and early August to late October), although we will consider those that fall outside of this time.
- A member of the community organisation must be present at all volunteering opportunities to provide supervision and support.
- Volunteers cannot be used to replace paid staff.
We have two ways in which we may be able to help you recruit volunteers, so explore both options and decide which option would best suit your needs. If unsure, don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss your opportunity.
Partnering with us means we would be more involved in recruiting and managing volunteers. We will assign a CV!-trained volunteer leader to the activity and they will be responsible for coordinating the volunteers in the lead up to the event and will act as a point of contact for you, the community partner. We will advertise positions on our volunteer database and volunteers will sign up from there.
This is the right option for you if:
- You are looking to recruit a group to volunteer together.
- The volunteer opportunity is either a one-off activity or an ongoing commitment – for example, at the same time weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
- For ongoing volunteering, the shift length does not exceed three hours.
- You would like CV! to be in charge of recruiting and appointing volunteers to the activity.
- Volunteers don’t need to go through an interview or application process.
- The role does not involve tin shaking or advocacy.
- You will have one main point of contact: the volunteer leader.
- Positions are advertised on the CV! volunteer database, which has 8000+ users. Opportunities are almost always fully subscribed.
- Volunteers log their hours on CV!’s database and may qualify for formal university recognition.
- Volunteers are supported by CV! leaders and staff.
- Volunteers are covered under Curtin’s volunteer insurance.
- Volunteers are provided transport in CV!’s 12-seater bus where possible.
Things to note:
- For ongoing programs, students can commit to a maximum of one semester.
- Once a partnership is established, CV! will decide on the number of volunteers required.
- While our volunteering opportunities are usually fully subscribed, we do occasionally experience volunteer dropouts. We will endeavour to replace volunteers in a timely manner where possible.
- Although you can request specific volunteer skills and attributes for the role, CV! is unable to verify these; we rely on volunteers to self-identify whether they meet the requirements.
- You can view some of our existing partnerships in our information for volunteers.
To proceed with this option, complete our online form.
We will review the information provided and contact you to discuss your volunteering opportunity further.
The CV! newsletter is sent out to our database of 8000+ students every three to four weeks during semester. In this option, we will simply act as a digital noticeboard promoting your opportunity and any interested volunteers will be instructed to contact you directly for further information or to apply for the role. We will have no further involvement in any aspect of the activity.
This option is right for you if:
- You are happy to liaise directly with the volunteers once they have expressed interest and can provide them with the necessary support.
- This is a great way to increase the awareness of your organisation and its volunteer positions.
- You can implement your own application and interview process when recruiting volunteers.
- The length of volunteer engagement can be determined by mutual agreement between the volunteer and your organisation.
Things to note:
- We have limited space for promoting external volunteering opportunities in our newsletter, so we cannot guarantee we will be able to include your opportunity.
- Such positions may also be advertised through UniHub, Curtin’s online jobs and events portal.
- There will be not CV! leader allocated to this opportunity.
- Volunteers must be covered under your insurance policy.
- CV! will have no further involvement in your volunteer opportunity beyond promotion through the newsletter.
- Students do not record their volunteer hours on CV!’s database and subsequently cannot submit them for official University recognition.
To proceed with this option and request to have your opportunity promoted through CV!’s newsletter, please complete our online form.