Guidelines for host organisations
This manual is for all host organisations who provide unpaid work experience placements. Fieldwork allows students to learn through direct implementation of their professional roles in real workplace settings. Unpaid Work Experience placements are one important example of fieldwork. Curtin University values authentic learning and Curtin Student Success is very grateful for the support given by organisations providing such opportunities.
Responsibilities for ensuring a successful placement
The organisation of a placement can be a complex task and it may be useful if some clarification is given on the levels of responsibility for different aspects of the placement.
Responsibilities of the host supervisor
The supervisor (or their delegate) shall be a professional employee of the host organisation and shall be responsible for:
- Approving the placement for the student and reading and submitting the Curtin Student Development Fieldwork Agreement.
- Organising the work schedule for the student and providing the student with a placement outline. This outline should cover a range of activities and should fit within the time limit of 112.5 hours.
- Providing guidance by giving the student a thorough orientation to the workplace and integrating the student into the work environment and culture.
- Ensuring the student has regular feedback on his or her performance during the placement and if possible, including a final debriefing session at the conclusion of the placement in which overall feedback is provided.
Responsibilities of the student
The student is responsible for:
- Completing the relevant forms required for the organisation of the placement.
- Monitoring their Curtin email account prior to, and during, the placement period.
- Liaising with the host organisation concerning the placement.
- Discussing placement activities with the host organisation.
- Reporting any problems, as soon as possible, to the host organisation and/or Curtin Student Success’ Placement Coordinator.
- Writing a letter of thanks at the end of the placement to the host organisation.
The student is expected to:
- Communicate in a professional manner with staff and clients.
- Undertake the placement without remuneration.
- Work to the agreed times during the placement, including evenings and weekend work where applicable.
- Treat all staff with respect and consideration.
- Present himself or herself in a professional manner.
- Act ethically and responsibly with the host organisation, staff and clients.
- Observe the host organisation’s dress code.
- Undertake all duties agreed to as part of the placement.
- Observe public holidays taken by the host organisation.
- Notify the host organisation at the beginning of the working day in cases of ill health.
Feedback on the student by the host organisation
Feedback on the student’s efforts and performance during their placement would be greatly appreciated by the student. This can be given to the student either during their placement or at the end. Feedback does not need to be submitted to the University.
Student placement agreements and insurance
Once the fieldwork agreement has been read and submitted by the host organisation’s representative via UniHub, the certificates of currency will be issued to the host organisation for the student’s placement by the Placement Co-ordinator.
Students are required to meet any expenses involved in the placement (i.e. travel, parking etc). Students will NOT be paid during the placement.
Thank you for your support
Placements could not occur without the full cooperation of our valued industry partners. We are deeply grateful to you and your staff for your commitment to our students. We know the placement is valuable to our students and hope that the placement will also be a rewarding experience for the host organisation.
Contacts and procedural comments
Curtin Student Success staff appreciate any feedback on the procedures in place for placements, the coverage of these guidelines, etc. If you have any queries or comments concerning the placement, please do not hesitate to contact the Placement Coordinator.
Employer Engagement Consultant
Curtin Student Success
Telephone: +61 8 9266 1531
If you are unable to contact Wendy on the above number and the matter is urgent, please contact Curtin Student Success on +61 8 9266 5627 or email email@example.com.