Establishing a scholarship
Creating a scholarship is simple and the Scholarships Office can provide the advice you need. You are welcome to discuss your ideas with us first. There are many excellent scholarships already in existence that you can model yours on, or create a completely new one.
Create a proposal
You will need to provide the Scholarships Office with an outline of your proposal.
Your proposal will need to include the following information:
- Name and purpose of scholarship – This typically includes the name of the benefactor or business and the area of study for the award, i.e. postgraduate/undergraduate. Flexibility in naming options allows you to name scholarships in memory of a loved one, in honour of anniversaries or events, or in recognition of an organisation or area of interest.
- Eligibility criteria – What is the target group? The following are a sample of options you may wish to consider:
- Postgraduate, undergraduate or stage of study
- Specific subject, course, or general field of study
- Full-time or part-time students
- Number, tenure and value of awards – These factors will vary depending on the size of the donation and the intended support. There are options to consider such as:
- The number or recipients
- The length of time for the support – one semester, one year or the remainder of the course
- Selection criteria – Most scholarships have a primary selection criteria as either academic achievement or financial need. Secondary criteria can be included to suit the needs and goals of the scholarship. These criteria, such as demonstrated leadership skills and community involvement, can be set.
Setting up a scholarship gives a company an early opportunity to choose from the best, to assess if they are right for the company through work experience and finally to employ a new graduate who is not only work ready but also company ready.
Administration, support and promotion
Curtin does not charge any fees for the set-up or administration of a scholarship. Once you decide to pursue a scholarship with Curtin, the Scholarships Office will liaise with you regarding the administration process.